Poems and Stories

Monday, August 13, 2007

New Orleans: Post-Katrina - Hip Hop Hooray

Hip Hop Hooray!


Last night, as I returned to my second floor apartment on the 1400 block of Constance Street, near Magazine and Race Street in New Orleans, I was disturbed by some loud music across the street. I grumbled to myself as I climbed the steps and walked down the long gallery to my front door. My thoughts were harsh; what kind of music is that? It’s too loud, it has a thundering, repetitive beat and I don’t understand why anyone would listen to it!

I opened my door, stepped inside, closing it quickly to keep out the sound and walked to the kitchen for a beer. It had been a hot one today, over 80 degrees on March 21st, not exactly like the New England weather back home, and I needed a cool one. The noise continued and then began to attract me for a closer look and listen. I opened the door again and leaned on the railing, peering into the night between the palm fronds screening my view of the source. Then I saw them.

Two young children, between 12 and 15 years old, were dancing to the music on the sheltered concrete stoop of their apartment building. The older boy was jumping and twisting, moving his arms, legs, shoulders, head, and whole body in an almost spastic, yet practiced set of moves. He was a big kid and it didn’t look easy. He continued to dance and then stopped suddenly and shut off the music. From the shadows, a slender, young girl stepped forward, appealing to the boy to teach her. He laughed gently, punching her arm with a friendly shove and then pulled her next to him. They stood there under the soft glow of the street light, turned the music on, louder this time, and then started dancing together. This time, it was magical as he performed and she mimicked him, learning quickly. I watched them change into a team and was amazed at the smooth, balanced, natural choreography as they turned Constance Street into their stage.

This is New Orleans, after Katrina, and this was the life blood flowing back into the city, person by person, house to house, filling up the city again. It can not be stopped and it should not be stopped. It should be celebrated with music and dancing and hope and love, regardless of the conditions of the land and buildings. The spirit of the young people, as I witnessed last night, is both essential to and emblematic of the recovery we will be privileged to witness and enjoy here in the “Big Easy”.

Tom Crowley

New Orleans

March 22, 2006

3/22/06 – I met the two kids above and gave them a copy of their story. Very nice, polite kids who shyly looked at me and simply said “Thank you”.

No comments: