Poems and Stories

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Living The Dream

Living The Dream

Is it better to dream

Or to achieve?

I have done both

And I still do not believe

That our lives can be forced

To fit in a world

Where achievement is celebrated

And dreams lie like flags unfurled.

We raise our children

To dream what they wish

Yet the schools crush the dreams

And turn genius to fish.

We make them miss concerts

Where dreamers dream out loud

While our dreamers do homework

To make mom and dad proud.

Years later we reap

What we shouldn’t have sowed

And lament dreaming visions

Where we were afraid to go.


I sit with my headphones

Over sixty years old

Listening to dreamers

As I sit out in the cold.

It is easy to say

That I have no regrets

But the truth is I am scared

As I try to forget

The dreams that I had

While still a young man

And live out my life

As best that I can.

I still have dreams

And I will ‘til I die

Oh. What the hell?

Lets give it a try!

It’s never too late

Unless you have died

So go chase a dream

And enjoy the ride

F.Thomas

January 31, 2010

Nassau, New Providence Island

sitting on a 125 foot schooner

waiting for something else...


No comments: