Poems and Stories

Monday, December 20, 2010

The Lie

He was fine, just fine
no problems here.
Happy to be alive
Nothing to fear.

Others much worse
He avowed and believed.
Yet deep inside
He was proud and bereaved.

Two tours of duty,
He would have gone back
Except for that bomb
And that last sneak attack.

He was only wounded
The others had died.
His wound was nothing
It was on the outside.

"Call the VA"
His wife had suggested
"I'll be just fine
once I am well-rested."

The shadows grew darker
Nightmares persisted.
He kept them a secret
Treatment resisted.

His family was worried
He wasn't the same.
One night he just lost it
Calling dead buddies by name.

"John! Over here!
Crawl out of that Hummer!"
"Warren! I'm coming!"
They all died that summer.

Fall in the clinic
They covered the scars.
Home the same winter
Finding peace in the bars.

Marines don't complain.
They get things done.
Wounds are a weakness.
The Lie had begun.

No one to talk to
Who'd understand?
I still have my body
I am still the same man...

Who enlisted at 18
And grew with the "Corps"
Bigger, and stronger, and better
Than I was before.

I believed it then
But now know in my heart
That I need help.
Where do I start?

The VA at Togus
Was where I began.
I am not ready yet
But it's a good place to stand.

I'm taking my meds
And I'll give it a try.
I'm still a Marine
Proud to say "Semper Fi!"

A Navy Vet from Togus - December 10, 2010
F Thomas Crowley, Jr.

No comments: