Poems and Stories

Monday, November 19, 2012

The Red Line to Ashmont

There was a time
When I saw the ring
That attracted me
To much bigger things.

It may have been
A building tall
With corporate names
On marble walls,

Or a bigger ship
In port that day
One that would take me
Far, far away.

I grabbed that ring
And held it tight
I rode that train
Through darkest night

I wore the clothes
I walked the walk
I took the money
And I talked the talk.


Now years later
I see I was blind
To better things
And simpler times

I needed it then
I do not now
But there was a time
When I would not bow.

I am a better man
Though I rationalize
I believe in myself
And that’s the surprise.

The ego’s gone
The man remains
A better man
With growing pains

But still…at night
While I ride the “T”
I think of that time
When I was him, not me.

Then I remember…
There was a time.

F.Thomas Crowley, Jr.
11/14/2012
On the Red Line to Ashmont

No comments: