Poems and Stories

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Sea Legs


Disclaimer: I have no right to write this poem. I hurt my right leg while doing something stupid; like pretending to be 30 instead of 70...However, pain, in any and many forms, can be an inspiration. So I wrote this to my old captain to honor him and to try to feel the pain that he has conquered.


It was just the one leg
but the label burned inside
in the 1940’s
There was no place to hide

Polio took many
Some endured, not thrive
But young Jim
would succeed, not merely survive

Many boats he would sail
on Barnegat Bay
No help needed
Sailing, his way

At first a walker
and later a cane.
Both were worthless
on a deck’s angled plane.

On a boat he found
That he could make a stand
With one good leg
and two strong hands.

Tom Crowley
former mate on the Adventure 1971-72

No comments: