Poems and Stories

Wednesday, May 22, 2019

FTC Artist Statement - May, 2019







I am currently applying for a creative writing fellowship from The CINTAS Foundation
This is a DRAFT of the Artist Statement I will submit:
The main body of my work for the past 50 years has been poetry, used to express strong emotional feelings of sadness, loneliness, desperation, morphing into recovery, self-awareness, healing and joy as my life progressed from growing up with alcoholic parents, through deliquency, to a successful career and the gift of a wonderful supportive family. Through poetry, short stories, children’s books and a novel in progress I hope to inspire others to look beyond themselves and their personal life challenges and see the world as a place where they can make a difference and a contribution. Raising the consciousness and conscience of my readers to embrace integrity and love while rejecting hate and racism is a goal that sometimes appears as elusive as a windmill yet no less worthy to pursue.

My work has ranged from and been inspired by the fears and hopes of childhood, through traveling as a search for meaning, imprisonment as a delinquent, the humiliation of social rejection, debilitating injuries, to serving others through charitable organizations and venturing deeply into my family’s past and exposing their secrets as a healing process.

My current project “Marguerite and The Cuban Paintings” is a fictionalized non-fiction story that tracks a small collection of historic and valuable paintings from the 17th and 18th centuries through
Europe, Spain, Cuba, and the United States focusing on the people closest to the collection and how it affects them, changes them, inspires them, and in some cases destroys them. The painting’s are real and I have seen them after they had been hidden in my grandfather’s basement for 50 years and then gradually destroyed over the next 20 years. The family charged with their safe-keeping is my own, on my mothers side; a Cuban diplomat exiled with his family to America. The mute, haunting journey of the paintings tormented the conscience of my Cuban-American family hiding the guilt and shame of smuggling or theft and ultimately killing most of them.
I have chosen a path of discovery, learning, determination and integrity led by a fictitious young women who learns more about herself and her true identity than she does about the paintings. She is determined to find and return them to their rightful owners or their families, thus mirroring a journey that she wishes to experience.
The ultimate goal and purpose of my past and current writing is to leave a documented legacy of my own life’s journey for my family to use as they grow and then question their own identities and the source of their emotions and inspirations. This goal is one that I have had, through my writings, the pleasure of sharing with others; friends, family, and often people who I have never met. Their feedback and reactions are usually positive but always surprise me and validate my decision to write.

No comments: