Poems and Stories

Thursday, June 30, 2022

VICARIOUS

 VICARIOUS

The word; Vicarious Has Latin Roots

If you act in someone's stead, you take his or her place, at least temporarily.

The oldest meaning of vicarious, which dates to the first half of the 1600s, is "serving instead of someone or something else."

The word vicarious derives from the Latin noun vicis, which means "change," "alternation," or "stead." 

Vicis is also the source of the English prefix vice- (as in "vice president"), meaning "one that takes the place of."



____


In literature, “vicarious” appears in many places. My interpretation is “living as others” or believing that you are someone you are not. Easy examples from my life are:


  1. making friends with someone whose family I wish I belonged to

  2. watching how they lived and loved

  3. thinking about being like theme

  4. acting like them in dress, words, actions,

  5. staying in their homes as if I was their son,

  6. trying hard to be accepted.


Real life examples include:

Bob Fazzina’s father and mother,

George Huggins mother and brothers,

Ralph Puerta’s mother (my own DONNA REED)

Nelle’s father, mother, and brothers

The only problem is that I have NEVER really felt accepted by anyone.  In fact, due to the scars of BLAME (earlier post) I felt that I would be "found out" and then rejected.

Red and Martha Garofalo NEVER made me feel this way.  They always accepted and even welcomed me into their family.  It took me many years to believe this.



to be continued


FTC

LB,ME

6/30/22


No comments: