Poems and Stories

Tuesday, August 13, 2024

ALMOST...ALONE

 


I was determined to find a place where I could fly fish for salmon alone.  Two plane rides later I was in Anchorage.  One float plane took me to the perfect spot.  I set up camp near the river that night and the next day went fishing early in the morning. It was cold, quiet, serene, beautiful.  I made a few long casts with a favorite streamer pattern and a large salmon took it.  Fighting hard, it surfaced and tail-walked across the top of the water. The noise it made was surprising in that quiet setting.  The bigger surprise was a noise behind me.  Someone was thrashing through the tall grass.  Shit! Probably another fucking fisherman coming to spoil the moment.  I turned around to give him a ddirty look and my best scowl. That was the last thing I remember...



No comments: