Poems and Stories

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Lost Poem, Poetry Lost



Lost Poem, Poetry Lost



One time I wrote a poem
It wasn’t very good.
I left it in a drawer
To age like seasoned wood.

I thought about that poem
It took awhile to write.
But I Ieft it in the drawer
I will look for it tonight.

I forgot to check the drawer
A friend came by for wine.
I will check on it tomorrow
Tomorrow should be fine.

A week went by, then another two
I think I will read it tonight
I left it in an old dresser
In the barn where I can write.

The night was cold, the barn was dark
The dresser wasn’t there.
I doubt that it had disappeared or
Vanished in thin air.



I looked around in panic
The poem grew better with time.
But I still could not find the dresser
I had lost my greatest rhyme!

I knew it was a masterpiece!
How could I have let it go?
Written with #2 Ticonderoga
I t was gone for good, I know.

I always keep the original
Each one a precious thing to save.
No matter how or where I wrote it
So I can take them to my grave.

I can write another one
But it will never be the same
As the one I left in the drawer that day
It could have brought me fame!


Tom Crowley
 4/4/14 – 5: 48 pm

Lincolnville Beach

No comments: